Having trouble getting focused and productive time while working from home? It can be tough. I've had a lot of practice with my first professional #WFH gig in 2003. There is a lot of advice out there.
I managed to rattle off 10 tips in this interview. What would you add to this list? Hope something helps. Here is my take on the new WFH environment.
- Create a routine to start your day. How you start your day will have the biggest impact on your day's productivity.
- Set an agenda and some reasonable goals for the day.
- Don’t underestimate how much work you can achieve with short bursts of focused energy.
- Find your people and have work-a-thon while you’re on the screen with accountability buddies.
- Determine your “work-spot” versus your “relax-spot.” Even if it’s just opposite sides of the couch - it makes a difference.
- Set timers. Choose focused-sprints of work time.
- With little ones – if you have someone to trade off work-versus-kid time is helpful. If you’re on your own, let go of your expectations to be the perfect parent.
- Expect nothing is business-as-usual. Allow flexibility and don’t negatively react to disruptions.
- Find your most productive time and aim to get your most important work done during that time (for me, it's the morning.)
- Get up from your desk, move and, if you can step outside, take a deep breath of fresh air when you’re feeling tired. (Of course, being mindful of physical distancing an stay-at-home regulations.)
What tips can you add to this list?